|English: Diagram of technology-empowered professional development for teachers. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Key trends highlighted by the Speak up team from the report include (source):You can download a free copy of this report via these links.
- A majority of teachers, school site administrators and district level administrators now report participating in an online class for their own professional development. For teachers, this represents a 148 percent increase since 2007.
- Teachers’ value proposition on online learning for their own professional development is directly related to their previous online learning experiences as a teacher or in an online training class. 30 percent of teachers say that online PD is now their preferred approach for continuing education.
- A new, positive correlation exists between educators’ experiences with online learning and their interest in mobile learning in school.
- The profile of a typical student interested in taking an online class today is a middle school girl who values the use of a mobile device in school and sees online learning as her ticket to a more personalized learning environment where she is in control of the learning process.
- One-third of parents now support increased investments in online learning.